EKU PROGRAM REVIEW
Program Review Resources
- 2013-2018 Program Review Schedule of Programs to be Reviewed
- Program Review Template
- Program Review User Guide and Instructions for Template Use
- Rubric Evaluating EKU's Program Review Template
- Program Review Data Definition
- College Program Review Activity Summary
CPE Resources Needed
CPE has indicated that the 2016 academic program reviews should use their 2011-15 Strategic Plan resources. Those resources are no longer available on the CPE website. Please use the links below rather than the CPE website.
- Stronger by Degrees
- Strategic Implementation Plan
- Review of Existing Academic Programs: Policies and Procedures
Program Review Explanatory Sections
- Statement of Purpose
- CPE Involvement
- Template, User Guide, and Schedule of Programs to be Reviewed
- Process Step-by-Step with Due Dates
EKU conducts periodic reviews of approved academic programs, with some uniform types of information required for each program (see the Program Review Template ). Eastern’s academic program review process seeks to be meaningful, streamlined to the degree possible, and provide a medium to make the case that a program is high quality, fulfilling its mission, and contributing to Eastern fulfilling its mission and goals.
Since 2013-14, all of Eastern’s program reviews are also provided to the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) for its review and evaluation (See CPE Program Review Policy).
Each college will create a committee to evaluate and provide recommendations to the Provost concerning the program review documents originating in their respective college. Recommendations will determine whether the program should (1) continue without modification, (2) continue with modification, or (3) close within three years.
- Existing programs must provide historical data for at least five academic years in order to be evaluated based on the criteria contained in the template.
- Each continuing academic program will undergo review every five years.
- Newly approved academic programs will be ‘stitched in’ to the program review cycle based on program level and when they first enrolled students.
- New associate, baccalaureate, and master’s programs will be reviewed three, five, and four years after implementation, respectively.
- New doctoral programs will undergo an interim review three years after implementation, and a full review three years after the interim review.
For all new and existing programs undergoing review, review documents will be sent to CPE, where CPE Academic Affairs staff will evaluate data and narrative provided by Eastern for each of the criteria, along with our recommendations, to determine whether the program should:
- (1) continue without modification,
- (2) continue with modification, or
- (3) close within three years.
Programs continuing with modification submit a three-year plan for improvement and three years later submit a progress report/recommendation (continue without modification or close the program) for CPE review and action.
The Program Review Template provides the basis for program evaluation. The Program Review User Guide and Instructions for Template Use provides clarification for completing the program evaluation.
Deans created the Program Review Schedule of Programs by dividing the programs in their respective colleges roughly into fifths for review based on what makes most sense for their programs, particularly with respect to issues such as timing of external accreditation reviews and having similar programs undergoing review together. Review is at the program level (e.g., BA English), not at the option or concentration level (e.g., not BA English - Creative Writing).
Process Step-by-Step with Due Dates
- The Program Review Template is available now for programs to complete.
- Institutional Research will provide data to programs (regarding template sections B3, C1, C2, D1) by December 1, 2017.
- Completed Program Review Templates are due to Institutional Effectiveness by January 15, 2018.
- College Program Review Committees receive revised (if necessary) Program Review Templates by February 15, 2018.
- College Program Review Committees make formal recommendations to the Deans by March 9, 2018.
- Deans complete review of college committee recommendations and forward to Provost by April 13, 2018.
- The Provost reviews the recommendations and forwards to Office of Institutional Effectiveness by May 18, 2018.
- Office of Institutional Effectiveness forwards documentation and recommendations to CPE by June 2018.
- CPE reviews for final decision.
Department chairs and faculty providing narrative responses to the criteria need to be consistent with the intended focus of each criterion, and with their colleagues’ responses for similar programs. The Offices of Institutional Effectiveness and Institutional Research will provide supporting data for some of the criteria (e.g., degrees conferred, enrollment, credit hours, average time and credits to degree), and Institutional Effectiveness will serve as a repository/clearinghouse to transmit review documents to CPE.