EKU PROGRAM REVIEW
Program Review Resources
- 2013-2018 Program Review Schedule of Programs to be Reviewed
- Program Review Template
- Program Review User Guide and Instructions for Template Use
- Rubric Evaluating EKU's Program Review Template
- Program Review Data Definition
- College Program Review Activity Summary
CPE Resources Needed
CPE has indicated that the 2016 academic program reviews should use their 2011-15 Strategic Plan resources. Those resources are no longer available on the CPE website. Please use the links below rather than the CPE website.
- Stronger by Degrees
- Strategic Implementation Plan
- Review of Existing Academic Programs: Policies and Procedures
Program Review Explanatory Sections
- Statement of Purpose
- CPE Involvement
- Template, User Guide, and Schedule of Programs to be Reviewed
- Process Step-by-Step with Due Dates
EKU conducts periodic reviews of approved academic programs, with some uniform types of information required for each program (see the Program Review Template ). Eastern’s academic program review process seeks to be meaningful, streamlined to the degree possible, and provide a medium to make the case that a program is high quality, fulfilling its mission, and contributing to Eastern fulfilling its mission and goals.
Since 2013-14, all of Eastern’s program reviews are also provided to the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) for its review and evaluation (See CPE Program Review Policy).
Each college will create a committee to evaluate and provide recommendations to the Provost concerning the program review documents originating in their respective college. Recommendations will determine whether the program should (1) continue without modification, (2) continue with modification, or (3) close within three years.
- Existing programs must provide historical data for at least five academic years in order to be evaluated based on the criteria contained in the template.
- Each continuing academic program will undergo review every five years.
- Newly approved academic programs will be ‘stitched in’ to the program review cycle based on program level and when they first enrolled students.
- New associate, baccalaureate, and master’s programs will be reviewed three, five, and four years after implementation, respectively.
- New doctoral programs will undergo an interim review three years after implementation, and a full review three years after the interim review.
For all new and existing programs undergoing review, review documents will be sent to CPE, where CPE Academic Affairs staff will evaluate data and narrative provided by Eastern for each of the criteria, along with our recommendations, to determine whether the program should:
- (1) continue without modification,
- (2) continue with modification, or
- (3) close within three years.
Programs continuing with modification submit a three-year plan for improvement and three years later submit a progress report/recommendation (continue without modification or close the program) for CPE review and action.
The Program Review Template provides the basis for program evaluation. The Program Review User Guide and Instructions for Template Use provides clarification for completing the program evaluation.
Deans created the Program Review Schedule of Programs by dividing the programs in their respective colleges roughly into fifths for review based on what makes most sense for their programs, particularly with respect to issues such as timing of external accreditation reviews and having similar programs undergoing review together. Review is at the program level (e.g., BA English), not at the option or concentration level (e.g., not BA English - Creative Writing).
Process Step-by-Step with Due Dates
- The Program Review Template is available now for programs to complete.
- January 8, 2018: Institutional Research will provide data to programs (regarding template sections B3, C1, C2, D1)
- March 2, 2018: Programs schedule for review complete the Program Review Template provided to respective College Program Review Committees.
- April 20, 2018: College Program Review Committees complete review of documentation and make formal recommendation to Deans.
- May 25, 2018: Deans complete review of collge committee recommendations and forward to Provost.
- May 25, 2018: Deans provide electronic copies of the Program Review Template to Institutional Effectiveness.
- June 30, 2018: Office of Institutional Effectiveness completes review and forwards documentation and recommendations to Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education. CPE reviews documentation and recommendations for final decision.