Assurance of Learning Day
2018: Friday, September 28
EKU's eighth annual Assurance of Learning Day will be held on Friday, September 28, 2018. This day provides faculty with the opportunity to discuss student learning in their programs. Day classes will be dismissed. (Classes resume at 4 p.m.)
The topics below provide ideas for ways to use the day. While the day's focus should be on some aspect of student learning assessment and assuring that students are learning, ideally the day will focus upon using data to improve learning. The structure, topics and activities within in each department are determined by the faculty and chair.
Assurance of Learning Day Resources
Documents to aid the preparation of Annual Planning and Progress Reports
- Review the forms used by the Academic Planning and Assessment Committee to evaluate submitted annual reports.
Chairs' To Do List Prior to Assurance of Learning Day
Send to Dean by September 20, 2018:
- Agenda for Assurance of Learning Day
- Location of Meeting
Assurance of Learning Day Topic Suggestions
- Annual Progress Reports: Prepare materials and update TracDat for Annual Planning and Progress reports (academic program reports due October 12, 2018 & department, college and other reporting units due December 7, 2018)
- Analyze assessment data from the 2017-2018 academic year and establish an action plan for future change
- Evaluate meaningful changes implemented in 2017-2018 and gather evidence/documentation to be uploaded in TracDat
- QEP: Identify program-level student outcomes that could be tagged as a critical reading objective and/or develop separate learning outcomes for critical reading. Please be aware that in the 2018 reports, all programs will be required to link at least one of their existing outcomes with critical reading or create a new outcome.
- QEP & Gen Ed: With respect to QEP and Gen Ed, note that in the 2018-2019 year Elements 3A, 3B, and 5A will be expected to collect data on a critical reading outcome; all other elements will pilot QEP collection practices in 2019-2020. Elements 2, 4, 5B, and 6 will need to submit an assessment task integrating a critical reading activity to Erin Presley by December 2, 2018.
- General Education: Academic Year 2018 - 2019 is a data collection year for General Education Assessment. All General Education courses will be required to administer the corresponding assessment task and collect data for analysis and interpretation.
- Objectives Mapping: All departments and admin units will need to link goals/objectives to EKU and/or College level goals.
- Collaboration with other academic programs and departments on campus to assure student learning
- Curriculum Alignment and Mapping—each program should have discussed mapping in 2015 and submitted a map to Institutional Effectiveness
If you have any questions or need any help in planning your Assurance of Learning Day activities, please contact Tanlee Wasson, Jackie Jay, or Bethany Miller. We are also available to consult with departments/programs on Assurance of Learning Day.
Once AOL day has concluded, provide an overview report of AOL activities (using the link below) on or before Friday, October 12, 2018.
Workshops (TLI Sessions in Noel Studio)
Annual Planning and Progress Reports Best Practices - presenter: Jackie Jay
- Tuesday, August 28th, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 14th, 11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Using Mock Interviews for Assurance of Learning
- Curriculum Mapping
- Rubric Development
- Developing Senior-Level Assessment Methods
- Digging Deeper
- Assessment: Helpful Tips
- QEP-Critical Reading Rubric