Assurance of Learning Day
Friday, October 1, 2021 and Friday, February 4, 2022
EKU's tenth annual Assurance of Learning Day will be held on Friday, October 1, 2021. This day provides faculty with the opportunity to discuss student learning in their programs. Day classes will be dismissed. (Classes resume at 4 p.m.) For the first time this year, there will also be a spring semester AOL day on Friday, February 4, 2022.
The topics below provide ideas for ways to use the day. While the day's focus should be on some aspect of student learning assessment and assuring that students are learning, ideally the day will focus upon using data to improve learning. The structure, topics and activities within in each department are determined by the faculty and chair.
After AOL day has concluded, please complete the Assurance of Learning Day Overview Report by Friday, October 29, 2021, to provide details on the day's topics and progress (link to report coming soon).
Assurance of Learning Day Resources
Documents to aid the preparation of Annual Planning and Progress Reports
- Possible Agendas for AOL Day
- AOL Day QEP Activities
- Review the evaluation forms used by the Academic Planning and Assessment Committee to evaluate submitted annual reports.
Assurance of Learning Day (Oct. 1) Topic Suggestions
- Discuss the impact of the QEP on student learning and student success using either the Gen Ed or academic program-level activity designed by QEP leaders.
- Annual Progress Reports: Prepare materials and update TracDat for Annual Planning and Progress reports
- - Analyze assessment data from the 2020-2021 academic year and establish an action plan for future change
- - Evaluate meaningful changes implemented in 2020-2021 and gather evidence/documentation to be uploaded in TracDat
- - Confirm all planning and student learning objectives have been tagged with the appropriate categories
- QEP: Identify program-level student outcomes that could be tagged as a critical reading objective and/or develop separate learning outcomes for critical reading. All programs are required to link at least one of their existing outcomes with critical reading or create a new outcome. Writing Integrated Student Learning Objectives.
- QEP & Gen Ed: All GE Elements should have an integrated GE/QEP assessment activity currently in use. Departments may want to review the activity for changes; or reflect on the data, narrative reports, and report feedback from the 2018 - 2020 GE Assessment cycle.
- General Education: Academic Year 2020 - 2021 is a data collection year for General Education Assessment. All General Education courses will be required to administer the corresponding assessment task and collect data for analysis and interpretation.
- Objectives Mapping: All departments and admin units will need to link goals/objectives to EKU and/or College level goals.
- Curriculum Alignment and Mapping—each program should have discussed mapping in 2015 and submitted a map to Institutional Effectiveness. It is recommended that each program annually review currciulum maps, making appropriate updates as needed.
If you have any questions or need any help in planning your Assurance of Learning Day activities, please contact Jackie Jay or Bethany Miller. We are also available to consult with departments/programs on Assurance of Learning Day.
Fall 2021 Workshops (TLI Sessions in Noel Studio)
Annual Planning and Progress Reports: Best Practices
Tuesday, August 31 at 2:00 pm and (repeat session) Monday, September 20 at 11:00 am
- Topic: Discuss basic reporting expectations
- Faculty Center for Teaching & Learning (FCT&L - Crabbe Library 318)
- Using Mock Interviews for Assurance of Learning
- Curriculum Mapping
- Rubric Development
- Developing Senior-Level Assessment Methods
- Digging Deeper
- Assessment: Helpful Tips
- QEP-Critical Reading Rubric