EKU PROGRAM REVIEW
**This page is currently being updated for the 2019-2024 cycle - updates available October 2019. Please do not move forward with Program Review until the information is announced as final. Feel free to contact email@example.com with questions.**
Program Review Resources
- 2019-2024 Program Review Schedule
- Program Review Template (The new requirements/template will be similar, but not exactly the same as the previous requirements)
- Evaluation Rubric (Coming Soon)
- Data Definitions (Coming Soon)
Program Review Explanatory Sections
- Statement of Purpose
- CPE Involvement
- Template and Schedule of Programs to be Reviewed
- Process Calendar
EKU conducts periodic reviews of approved academic programs, with some uniform types of information required for each program. Program Review should strengthen degree programs by continuously improving the quality and effectiveness of teaching and learning, research, and service. Eastern’s academic program review process seeks to be meaningful, streamlined to the degree possible, and provide a medium to make the case that a program is high quality, fulfilling its mission, contributing to, and aligning with the mission, goals, and plans of Eastern Kentucky University.
The 2019 - 2024 Program Review Process will follow these steps (see corresponding calendar below):
- Each college will create a committee to evaluate and provide recommendations to the Provost concerning the program review documents originating in their respective college.
- The program will submit the final program review report to the college committee for college level review and approval. The committee may request revision to the report prior to submission to the Dean.
- Simulataneous to submitting the final program review report to the college committee for college level review and approval, the program will also submit the final program review report to at least one peer external to the college and/or university. The external reviewer will provide feedback to the program, which will be used to revise the report prior to submission to the College Dean. (In some cases, a reviewer from another department inside the college may be acceptable with approval from the Dean. Programs with professional accreditation may meet this requirement with the external accreditation process.)
- The College Dean will do a final college level review prior to submission to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness & Research (OIE&R).
- OIE&R will conduct a preliminary review of the report to ensure completeness and accuracy of data cited.
- The Provost will review the reports and recommendations of the program, the college, and OIE&R and make recommendations to the Deans' Council.
- If the Deans' Council recommends changes to the program, follow-up review will include the following: a) 6 month preliminary review submitted to Deans' Council; b) 1-year full review and further recommendation submitted to Deans' Council; c) final Deans' Council review and development of future plan.
- OIE&R will submit the final report and recommendation to CPE by the July 1 deadline.
For all new and existing programs undergoing review, review documents will be sent to CPE, where CPE Academic Affairs staff will evaluate data and narrative provided by Eastern for each of the criteria, along with our recommendations, to determine whether the program should:
- (1) continue without modification,
- (2) continue with modification, or
- (3) close within three years.
Programs continuing with modification submit a three-year plan for improvement and three years later submit a progress report/recommendation (continue without modification or close the program) for CPE review and action.
The Program Review Template provides the basis for program evaluation. (The 2019-2024 template is not yet available.)
The Program Review Schedule is created based on past review cycles and what makes most sense for programs, particularly with respect to issues such as timing of external accreditation reviews and having similar programs undergoing review together. Review is at the program level (e.g., BA English), not at the option or concentration level (e.g., not BA English - Creative Writing). All programs will be reviewed once within a five-year period (2019 - 2024) with adjustments as necessary to align with professional accreditation cycles and/or program modifications.
- October 31, 2019 | Institutional Effectiveness & Research will provide the Program Review Data and Template to programs
- January 30, 2020 | Program submits final program review report to college committee for review.
- January 30, 2020 | Program submits final program review report to external reviewer.
- March 1, 2020 | College committee submits recommendations to Dean.
- March 1, 2020 | External reviewer submits feedback to Dean.
- April 1, 2020 | Dean's office submits final report to OIE&R with committee, Dean, and external review recommended actions.
- April 2020 | OIE& R reviews all reports and recommendations.
- May 2020 | Provost reviews all reports and recommendations.
- June 2020 | Provost and Deans' Council provides final recommendations.
- July 1, 2020: Office of Institutional Effectiveness completes review and forwards documentation and recommendations to Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education. CPE reviews documentation and recommendations for final decision.