EKU PROGRAM REVIEW
Academic Program Review Resources
Academic Program Review Explanatory Sections
- Statement of Purpose
- Process & Calendar
- Evaluation & Recommendation
- Template, Data and Schedule of Programs
- APR Cohort
EKU conducts periodic reviews of approved academic programs, with some uniform types of information required for each program. Program Review should strengthen degree programs by continuously improving the quality and effectiveness of teaching and learning, research, and service. Eastern’s academic program review process seeks to be meaningful, streamlined to the degree possible, and provide a medium to make the case that a program is high quality, fulfilling its mission, contributing to, and aligning with the mission, goals, and plans of Eastern Kentucky University.
Programs Being Review
- Programs scheduled for review.
- If a program is completing/has completed an external accreditation during its review year, it may submit the accreditation report in lieu of the program review template by following these guidelines:
- All questions/topics from the Program Review Template must be addressed in the accreditation report; template items not specifically addressed in the accreditation report must be submitted as an addendum.
- All questions/topics from the Program Review Template must be identified and highlighted in the accreditation report to facilitate review and evaluation.
The 2019 - 2024 Program Review Process will follow these steps (see corresponding calendar below):
- Each college will create a committee to evaluate and provide recommendations to the Provost concerning the program review documents originating in their respective college.
- A Cohort will be created that includes the Chairs and/or Program Coordinators of the programs up for review. The cohort will meet monthly (via Teams) to discuss specific program review related topics, as well as ask questions and share ideas. (For more information about the Cohort, scroll to the bottom of this page.)
- The program will submit the final program review report to the college committee for college level review and approval. The committee may request revision to the report prior to submission to the Dean.
- The College Dean will coomplete a final college level review prior to submission to Institutional Effectiveness & Research (IE&R).
- The Provost, Associate Provost, VP of Student Success, and IE&R will review the reports and recommendations of the program and the college and make recommendations.
- Fall 2021: Colleges create evaluation committee
- August & September 2021: Deans, Associate Deans, Chairs, & Program Coordinators review Program Review Schedule, Process, and Materials
- October & November 2021: Chairs, Program Coordinators, and/or Program Faculty complete a draft of the review.
- January & February 2022: Program review report is finalized.
- March 4, 2022 | Program submits final program review report to college committee for review.
- April 15, 2022 | College committee submits recommendations to Dean.
- May 20, 2022| Dean's office submits final report to IE&R with committee and Dean recommended actions.
- June & July 2022 | IE&R, VP of Student Success, Associate Provost, & Provost review all reports and recommendations.
- July & August 2022 | Provost provides final recommendations.
Program Review Rubric - The rubric is used by college review committees in conjunction with the program's completed review template, student success data, and any supplemental materials to evaluate the program.
For all new and existing programs undergoing review, the evaluations conducted and recommendations provided will determine whether the academic program should:
- (1) continue without modification,
- (2) continue with modification, or
- (3) close within one to three years.
Programs continuing with modification submit a three-year plan for improvement and three years later submit a progress report/recommendation (continue without modification or close the program) for EKU and CPE review and action.
The Program Review Schedule is created based on past review cycles and what makes most sense for programs, particularly with respect to issues such as timing of external accreditation reviews and having similar programs undergoing review together. Review is at the program level (e.g., BA English), not at the option or concentration level (e.g., not BA English - Creative Writing). All programs will be reviewed once within a five-year period (2019 - 2024) with adjustments as necessary to align with professional accreditation cycles and/or program modifications.
We are pleased to introduce a new component to the Academic Program Review process- the creation of a cohort for the programs currently under review. The purpose of the APR Cohort is to establish a community focused on program excellence, as well as increase communication, participation, and support during the program review process. The cohort is open to Department Chairs, Program Coordinators, and/or others associated with the programs under review during the current academic year. The cohort will meet monthly (via Zoom) to discuss specific program review related topics, as well as ask questions and share ideas. The cohort meetings will be facilitated by Drs. Jennifer Wies and Bethany Miller.
2021-22 Cohort Meeting Topics & Schedule:
- September 30 at 11:00 a.m.: Overview of Program Review Process, Timeline, and PR Template (blank) | PR Template with Notes
- November 11 at 11:00 a.m.: Supporting the Review with Data and Meeting Expectations of the Evaluation Rubric
- February 3 at 11:00 a.m.: Question/Idea Sharing in Preparation for March Submission
QUESTIONS: Contact Bethany Miller or Jennifer Wies